Step 1: Reserve Your Location

Indoor events

Liquor is prohibited unless the establishment already holds a license or a single-use license has been obtained from the Town. The fee for a one-day license is $50, waived for Wakefield-based (nonprofit?) organizations.

  • The Americal Civic Center at 467 Main Street is a former armory owned by the Town of Wakefield. It has two spaces that can be rented to the public. The Drill Hall is a gymnasium that often features dances, craft fairs, and sporting events. The Heritage Room is typically used for meetings, receptions, and parties.
  • The Hartshorne House was built in 1681 and is also owned by the Town of Wakefield. It has indoor and outdoor space available for rent along the shore of Lake Quannapowitt.
  • Wakefield has many wonderful restaurants throughout town, many of which have private function areas, and great catering eastablishments.
  • If you choose to have a gathering in one of Wakefield’s private clubs, like the Westside Social Club, Crystal Community Club, or Knights of Columbus, alcohol and bartender service should be coordinated with the club’s manager. Licenses held by these types of clubs are only for club members. A one-day liquor license may still be needed for your event.

Outdoor events

  • Groups looking to reserve outdoor space must apply for a permit from the Town Administrator at least 90 days prior to the event.
  • Keep in mind that large events and those that involve closing public ways may involve police, fire, and department of public works involvement. These details will be discussed with you during your application’s review.
  • Possession of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on public parks, playgrounds, or recreation areas except where otherwise approved by Town Council.