Applications and Forms

Our Town Clerk can assist you in obraining vital records, dog and business licenses, census information, and raffle permits.

Vital Records

Birth Certificates
The Town Clerk can issue birth certificates for a child whose parents were residing in Wakefield at the time of the child's birth and those who were physically born in Wakefield.

Death Certificates
Wakefield's Town Clerk can issue death certificates of those who physically died in Wakefield and those who were legal residents of our town at the time of their death.

Marriage Certificate
If a marriage license was issued by the Town of Wakefield, our Town Clerk can issue a certified copy. 

Marriage License
All couples planning to marry in Massachusetts must jointly file intentions in person at the Town Clerk's office. There is a 3-day waiting period between when the intentions are filed and when the marriage license may be issued. A marriage license, once obtained, is valid for 60 days from the date intentions are filed and may be used anywhere in Massachusetts. The marriage license is not valid outside of the Commonwealth. 

  • Marriage License Applications are available at the Town Clerk’s office and must be filed in person. The fee for a marriage license is $25.


Licenses and Certificates

Dog Licenses
All dogs that have attained the age of six months or older are required by Massachusetts General Laws c140, §138 to be licensed annually.

  • 2019 Dog License Application: The fees to attain a license are $10 for a neutered or spayed dog and $20 for an intact dog. There is a $10 late fee if paid after February 28.

This year, we are giving the first 1,500 residents who agree to “Scoop the Poop” a free waste bag dispenser. Help keep our groundwater clean and take the pledge to pick up after your dog. 

Business (DBA) Certificates
Massachusetts General Laws c110, §5 states that "Any person conducting business in the commonwealth under any title other than the real name of the person conducting the business, whether individually or as a partnership, shall file in the office of the clerk of every city or town where an office of any such person or partnership may be situated."


Census and Street Listing

In accordance with Massachusetts General Laws c51,§4, the Town Clerk's office sends census forms annually to all Wakefield households. Learn more about the town census here.
Raffle and Bazaar Permits
Some nonprofit organizations are permitted to hold certain gaming activities in order to fundraise. They are allowed to hold raffles, defined as "an arrangement for raising money by the sale of tickets, certain among which, as determined by chance after the sale, entitle the holders to prizes." Additional rules and restrictions about raffles can be viewed on the Massachusetts Attorney General site here