The Wakefield Town Council is seeking Wakefield residents, 18 years of age and older who are interested in serving on the Disability Commission. The overall mission of the Commission on Disabilities is to address the needs and concerns of our disabled residents and promote their full participation in the activities and services of Wakefield. The Commission's role is to:
- Act as an advocate for the disabled community.
- Advise town officials to ensure compliance with federal, state, and town disability laws and regulations.
- Raise the awareness by providing information, assistance, and referrals to individuals, businesses, and organization pertaining to disability issues.
- Review and make recommendations on policies and activities of Wakefield departments and boards as they impact people with disabilities.
- Create a barrier free town.
- Promote accessible public transportation.
- Encourage accessible housing.
- Work to develop equal job opportunities for the disabled.
The Commission meets the first Monday of the month or as needed at 7:00 p.m. currently via Zoom. Anyone interested may fill out the “Application for Appointment” form and submit along with a resume via email to Sherri Dalton. The deadline for submissions is October 5th, 2021 by 4:30 p.m.