Recently, Governor Baker signed the Wakefield Home Rule Petition for Senior Tax Relief. While originally passed by Town Meeting in 2018, final passage was delayed in the legislature as several cities and towns attempted to follow our lead.
As a result, Wakefield will match 100% of the Senior Circuit Breaker Income Tax Credit received by Wakefield residents.
The Circuit Breaker Tax Credit is a state income tax credit for certain Massachusetts residents age 65 or older who pay rent or real estate taxes during the tax year. Please review your eligibility for the Senior Circuit Breaker Income Tax Credit with your tax preparer. Details for the Senior Circuit Breaker Income Tax Credit can be found on the Department of Revenue webpage and on our exemptions page.
To take advantage of Wakefield’s Senior Discount Program, applicants must:
- Have received the State’s Senior Circuit Breaker Income Tax Credit
- Have been 65 years of age by the close of the prior calendar year. A co-applicant must have turned 60 years of age.
- Have owned and occupied a home in Wakefield for the past 10 consecutive years.
- Have no other significant assets, i.e. second home, trust fund, etc.
- Make timely application with the Board of Assessors; August 2 to September 30, 2021.
Though individuals apply for the state’s Circuit Breaker credit when filing their state taxes, the application process for Wakefield’s Senior Discount Program is handled by the Assessing Department. Get the application here.
We will be taking applications from August 2 to September 30, 2021. Residents can utilize the mailbox at the front door of Town Hall, mail the documents to 1 Lafayette Street, or visit the office in person.
In addition to a completed application, you must supply the following information:
- Valid Massachusetts I.D.
- State Tax Form CB 2, which details your Circuit Breaker Amount.
- Copy of trust documents, if applicable. If your property is in a trust, we may need to review the trust documents to ensure ownership interests.
Feel free to email us or call our office anytime after July 1 at 781-246-6380 with any questions that you may have.