Wakefield’s roots date back to 1639 when Linn Village was established. It wasn’t until July 4, 1868 that our town took on the name Wakefield in honor of entrepreneur and rattan industry giant Cyrus Wakefield.
Wakefield's Historical Society maintains an extensive archive of photos, artifacts, and information. The Museum, located in the former West Ward School, hosts fixed and rotating exhibits. In addition, Wakefield's Historical Commission works to preserve, protect, and develop the Town's historical and architectural heritage in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 40, Section 8D.
Complementing to the efforts of our Historical Society and Commission members, the Beebe Library maintains a catalog of historical documents in its archives.